Thursday 25 August 2011

A nature post

I've been busy clicking with the camera around the garden.  Here's what I've taken:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Peacock butterfly

Baby toad

Such beautiful colours (apart from the baby toad, but he's still beautiful).  While I'm at it, here's a pic of the potatoes we harvested this year and the first of many excellent sized carrots (they taste so much nicer than shop bought ones).  I'm ever so pleased with the carrots.  It's the first year ever that I've grown them directly in the ground rather than in a large pot (resulting in tiny baby carrots, which are lovely, but not quite the same).  I'd been put off doing this before mainly because our soil isn't completely stone free (by a long way) resulting in wonky and stunted growth.  Also I dreaded the thought of a ruined crop thanks to carrot fly (apparently this is more likely if you disturb the tiny seedlings too much at replanting time), but we seem to have been spared.  The only pest upsetting the carrots has been Kan who seems to enjoy hiding, playing and sleeping amongst them!!

Photobucket

No comments: